The Randall Museum in San Francisco hosts a large HO-scale model model railroad. Created by the Golden Gate Model Railroad Club starting in 1961, the layout was donated to the Museum in 2015. Since then I have started automatizing trains running on the layout. I am also the model railroad maintainer. This blog describes various updates on the Randall project and I maintain a separate blog for all my electronics not directly related to Randall.
2017-01-16 - Lights and SoundCategory Randall
Just brainstorming here.
Power on the lights : steady when buttons are enabled, blinking when running (or the reverse).
- That could easily be done with an Arduino.
- Or by using a Switch-8 and an NCE Dual Relay (if it were steady only, I would not do blinking with that).
- How does the Arduino receives the orders?
- ⇒ Might as well use an ESP2866 with wifi.
Optionally emit speaker sound.
- There are some RMC speakers in the back (save them so they don't get trashed).
- Something like a DigiX with a speaker output and wav files loaded from an SDCard.
- Even simpler: use the JMRI computer, audio output split in 2, e.g. right channel to speaker under Passenger, left channel to speaker under Branchline.